Dec 23, 2012

NFL Week 16: Singapore Sling

It's been about 1 year exactly since our visit to Singapore....and this is  a good time to review the famous drink from the country, the Singapore Sling. This drink was invented by a bartender at the famous Raffles hotel in the 1920s, when Singapore was under British rule.

Before I tried it, I knew I was going to like it! It was red and had fruit! As many of you know, I am the king of colored, fruu-fruu drinks......some of my staples in the past have been:
   - the Tom Collins, of course
   - Pina Colada; not bad on vacation, but I did get a lot of strange looks from my friends on a church golf trip after playing 36 holes; we went to Applebee's for dinner, and I wanted something cold and alcoholic. Pina Colada!
   - and the Sloe Gin Fizz, the regular drink I ordered from Club "I" for 2 years in 1992-94.

We were staying at the World Famous Marina Bay Sands....and for dinner that night, I ordered it. It came to the table looking very much like the picture above. I tasted it......

..........

Vicks 44D came to mind. It was awful. Syrupy, but medicine-y also. Strong and artificial.

Actually, another drink came to mind as I sipped the Sling. Back in my freshman year at college, we would mix all sorts of things together and drink. The container I used to mix my drinks was a 32oz plastic bottle from the Arco AM/PM mini mart back in Sacramento. I could go on for pages about that, but it was directly from senior year high school where Bill (my best friend in Sacto) and I would hang out at the AM/PM after B-ball practice or other activities. Yes, I was quite the rebel.

Anyway, so one night we were low on supplies....so in the AM/PM bottle I mixed:
- Jack Daniels, and
- Wyler's Wild Cherry Kool Aid

Ah yes. That didn't sit too well. The whole bathroom floor and toilet was dark red by 12:30 am that night.  Unfortunately, the Singapore Sling's taste reminded me of that Wyler's concotion from October, 1989.  I never did finish the Sling, and I don't want to try another.

It's too easy and cruel to compare Pat Shurmur to the Singapore Sling...so I won't. Suffice to say that the good feelings from the last 3 weeks came crashing down against the Skins on Sunday. Wow - were we unprepared for Cousins, the Washington D, anything. I have a feeling now that since the season is officially over, there will be players giving up (Shurmur has a habit of throwing players under the bus in press conferences) and these last two games may be ugly. It will be ugly anyway going to Denver.

On to the rest of the games....why are there 11 early games? That's horrible.

NYJ 20, SD 10. I think McElroy does feel this is a chance of lifetime and will try his hardest in New York. The fans will be behind him. I can't see the same enthusiasm out of Rivers.

Car 27, Oak 13. Carolina will be the team that ends hot and everyone picks as a sleeper next year.

NO 27, Dal 23. Just when you think Dallas is back, something happens to upset their season.

GB 23, Ten 20. Wow, just because you beat the Bears doesn't mean you are at the top of the NFC> The Pack is at best the 5th best team in the NFC.

Hou 24, Min 17. I don't appreciate what Adrian Peterson is doing. I better start.

NE 31, Jax 20. I just don't see any motivation at all out of the Pats.

Ind 17, KC 16. Indy is overrated and may overlook the Chiefs here.

StL 30, TB 20. Tampa's defense is terrible, and Bradford and company want to look good.

Was 27, Phi 17. How can you bet the Eagles here?

Pit 23, Cin 20.  Cincinnati has not been able to get over the Pittsburgh hump - 9 straight losses now- and they won't do it here in Pittsburgh.

Mia 24, Buf 10. A good defense will stop the Bills.

NYG 31, Bal 27. This will be a fun game to watch - who will be choking more during the game?

Az 20, Chi 17. The Bears have imploded.

Sea 27, SF 20. Yes, Seattle is ready to beat the Niners - and this is at home.

Best bets: 18 of them. Last week: 9-8; overall: 126-108-6.
NYJ -2 1/2
SD/NYJ under 37 1/2
Car -8 1/2
Oak/Car under 46 1/2
NO +3
Ten +12
Jax +14
KC +7
Ind/KC under 41.5
StL +3
StL/TB over 44
Was -6 1/2
Mia -4 1/2
Buf/Mia under 41 1/2
NYG/Bal over 47
Az +6
Sea -1
SF/Sea over 39 1/2

Supercontest: Last week: 2-3; overall: 38-34-2
NYJ -2 1/2
Jax +14
Car -8
NO +3
Sea pk


 

No comments: