Dec 9, 2012

NFL Week 14 - Dumplings

I would like to go back to one of my earlier posts and expound on a food that I glossed over - dumplings! The dumpling is a staple of Northern Chinese cuisine - and on our trip to see the Terra Cotta Warriors, we went to a restaurant after the tour.

The food at the restaurant? No menu - we were promised 15 courses of dumplings.

I have fallen in love with this food. Some of America knows the Chinese Dumpling only as "pot stickers" - fried pockets of meat served with soy sauce that can be found at the end of the buffet. Don't get me wrong - I love the fried dumplings! I remember one hotel breakfast buffet we went to that had a station just for the fried dumplings. Hoo boy, I hit that 3 times for a total of 20 dumplings at 8:30 in the morning. A great start to the day.

But most dumplings in China are served steamed. The dough is made fresh; it is filled with all sorts of various fillings - and then they are hand-closed. That's the part I feel guilty about when I woof down 3 at a time. "Oh gees, someone took the time to craft these personally....oh well ..... *gulp*".

The filling is what makes the dumpling. A popular filling is pork and leek - and the flavor of that type is directly proportional to the amount of pork found in the dumpling. Shrimp is another popular item; chicken is a rarity. Lamb is a surprisingly good choice.

The best one I had at the restaurant was a "spicy crab" dumpling. Wow! Just wonderful Crab, some spinach, other filling(rice?), and spices in a steamed dumpling. This plate was the 10th or 11th one sent out - and by then, most others were done- so I had them to myself. Sucks to be you!

(Of course, I was done by the 12th plate, so we missed the last 3).

Any flavor, any type - I love me some dumplings. Kind of like the Browns victories now. I don't care how they come - vs. a 38 year old quarterback, or a horrid Raiders team - just keep them coming. Let's not think about the off season yet - let's let this young team beat the Chiefs for 3 in a row, and then we can surprise RG3, and then Denver has nothing to play for....

Just think....if Pittsubrgh can somehow lose this week and Dallas beats Cincinnati, then we are 2 out with 3 to play....and we have another game vs. Pittsburgh in week 17. It's not over yet...there still is hope here. No sense in thinking about the draft when we still have a minute shot....

On to the games as I continue dreaming.....

StL 24, Buf 20. Fisher won't let this team quit.

Atl 23, Car 17. Somehow, the Falcons will find another way to win here.

Dal 30, Cin 23. Yes, I am calling for the upset. The Bengals can't play 5 good games in a row, can they?

Ind 28, Ten 17. Do people realize that Tennessee just isn't that good? They still have another game vs. the Jaguars,don't they? Ugh.

NYJ 17, Jax 13. Speaking of the Jaguars....

Chi 31, Min 17. The Bears have too much to play for to allow a slip up here.

Bal 27, Was 24. The Skins bandwagon is full, and everyone is down on the Ravens. Time for a contrarian pick here.

TB 34, Phi 17. The Eagles are done.

Pit 23, SD 10. Um, aren't the Chargers done?

SF 24, Mia 20. I think the loss last week to the Rams is a bad sign for the Niners.

NYG 31, NO 20. The Giants are desperate - and that usually means Coughlin will have them coming out firing.

Sea 23, Az 13. The Cards have their QB back in Skelton - so maybe they score more than 10 points?

GB 34, Det 20. Like the Bears, the Pack have everything to play for - and the Lions are playing out the string.

NE 27, Hou 20. I think you can pass with ease on Houston.

Best bets: 17 of them. Last week: 9-8; overall: 111-89-6

StL +3
Atl/Car under 48
Dal +3 1/2
Dal/Cin over 46
Ind -5
NYJ/Jax under 38
Chi -3
Chi.Min over 39 1/2
Bal +2
TB -7 1/2
Pit -7 1/2
SD/Pit under 40
Mia +10
NYG -4 1/2
GB -6 1/2
Det/GB over 48 1/2
NE -3 1/2

Supercontest: Last week: 2-3; overall: 34-29-2

Dal +3
Ind -5
Bal +2 1/2
Mia +10
NE -3 1/2
 

No comments: