Oct 28, 2012

NFL Week 8: Indian Food

Ah, Indian food. It took me a while to really fall in love with this cuisine. I started liking it when we first moved to Cincinnati - and Janice's brother lived in Clifton (near the University) - and there was an excellent Indian restaurant near him. We'd go there, and I instantly loved it. Chicken Tikka Masala, Tandoori Chicken, even a Saag Paneer... most everything is good. And Nan....oh! The Nan! I could eat Nan for a whole week (and yes, I will capitalize Nan for this whole post).

When we lived in the suburbs in Cincinnati, there was a local Indian joint that was good - we went there to eat in or carry out about once a month. The boys started liking it too (especially the Nan).....oh, and they had the best Onion Nan .....wow, I miss that place....... The highlight was heading into the restaurant after both Freddie and Warren had Little League games - so all the Indians in Mason, OH were gathering on a Friday night, and this family walks in with two kids covered in dirt...... now that's multiculturalism!

When we first moved to China, some of our ex-pat friends were Indian fans as well - our first family get together was Indian - an Indian family told us the best place in Guangzhou for Indian, and we've been there numoerous times since being here.

I travel to India frequently for work - I've been there 4 times so far - and, let's just say, the experience is not exactly the same. The dishes are very similar - lentils, chicken, sauces, the Nan is great - but ends up being unsettling. How do I put this nicely? I don't get sick or anything, but.....I don't excrete anything solid for the the next 7 days. When I'm in the plant, I get a 10 minute warning from my body and it's "uh, excuse me, where is the bathroom?".

The taste - great. The after effects......that's where the problems are. Why does the authentic version cause so much suffering? This is a case where the foreign imitation is better than the real thing.

I don't want to compare the Browns to diarrhea - Lord knows that joke has been done over 10 million times in the past - but that's where we are. The team looks good on paper. Offense - we actually have players that people want to start in Fantasy! The defense is average; we have a stud kicker (since our offense stalls at the 30 regularly, it gives Dawson opportunties for multiple 40+ yd FGs every game....)

But we are 1-6.

And that goes to one person - the head chef, Shurmur.

I feel this week is an elimination challenge with the two bottom chefs in the league - Shurmur and Norv Turner. If you are outcoached by Norv, you should be fired immediately.

On to the games:

Chi 17, Car 13. A letdown game for the Bears after a divisonal win on Monday night.

NE 27, StL 20. I can see the Rams winning, but just can't pull teh trigger on the upset.

Ind 27, Ten 23. The question here, of course, is Chris Johnson. Is the Colts' run D as bad as the Bills'?

GB 27, Jax 10. What's the motivation here for the Packers?

Det 23, Sea 17. The Lions are slowly playing better - their D was impressive last Monday night, and this is a team desperate for a win - and at home.

Phi 27, Atl 24. Why, why, why, do I think the Eagles will show up for this game?

Mia 23, NYJ 13. The Dolphins - off a bye - facing the Jets,who came off a tough divisional loss.

Pit 31, Was 20. Have you seen the Steelers offense recently? It's all passing. And the Skins don't do well in the pass D department. And I think LeBeau willhave something cooked up against RG3.

KC 27, Oak 13. I can't trust Oakland on the road. So - I'll ride Romeo and Brady again,just like it was 2008.

Dal 24, NYG 17. I think Dallas's D matches up well against the Giants.

Den 31, NO 21. This is a classic back door cover game here, but I like what I see in Denver against the NO defense, especially off a bye.

SF 17, Az 16.  The last stand for Arizona - at home - if they want to contend this year.

Best bets: 15 of them. Last week: 6-8. Overall: 55-48-4.
Car +7 1/2
Car/Chi under 42 1/2
Ind +3 1/2
Jax/GB under 45 1/2
Det -2 1/2
Mia +2
Atl/Phi over 42 1/2
Pit -4
Was/Pit over 44 1/2
KC -1
Dal +2 1/2
NYG/Dal under 48
Den -6
Az +7
SF/Az under 38 1/2

Supercontest: Last week: the dreaded 0-5. Overall: 19-15-1
Det -2
Mia +2
Pit -4 1/2
KC -2
Az +6 1/2
 

No comments: