Oct 20, 2012

NFL Week 7: Pad Thai

Ah, Pad Thai. I've had some bad memories with this dish over the years. It all started when I got my first job in Dayton out of school. About the 2nd month I was there, some of the guys were going to the Thai/Vietnamese restaurant in a suburb....so I went along. At that point, in 1994, the most experience I have had with Asian food was Chinese (and a lot of it!)

So I ordered the Pad Thai - noodles and meat? What could go wrong?

It was disgusting. It was drowned in fish sauce, which I thought (and still do) is the most vile sauce to cook with. It was drenched in it, and I couldn't finish it. I never joined the group again when they went back to this place in Beavercreek.

Fast forward 10 years in 2004 - when we lived in Iowa; again, I joined a group as we went to the Thai/Cambodian restaurant on the outskirts of Iowa City; again, I tried the Pad Thai. The dish was a bit better - less flooded with the sauce - but the pungency of the entire restaurant soured the dish for me. How can you enjoy it with the fish sauce in the air? I think I went back once or twice - but no more - in our 2 year stay in Iowa.

(That place was near the river; the big flood of 2006 pretty much directly hit the plaza where the restaurant was. I wondered if it reopened.....in the same place? )

Then we go to earlier this year - February - when we went to Thailand for Chinese New Year. We went to a local, outdoor restaurant one night; as I walked in, I saw somebody at another table eating Pad Thai?

"That's Pad Thai? That looks delicious!" So, I tried it again for the third time.

As you can expect, having Pad Thai done by the natives is 100000% better than a Dayton or Iowan version. Perfectly fried, no mystery fish sauce on it - noodles, bean sprouts, chicken/shrimp....Excellent. Just like it is advertised!

It's now in my top 10 dishes I get over here when eating at a hotel or traveling for work. It truly is amazing the difference in the dish and how it is prepared. I know, I shouldn't be surprised.

I think the national media is having the same feeling when it comes to Brandon Weeden. All they remember about Weeden is the awful game 1 performance against  the Eagles. Make no mistake, he was awful in that game.
But weeks 2-6 have been solid - but not spectacular. Yes, there are some rookie mistakes resulting in interceptions...but the arm is there to deliver the long passes to Gordon and others. And he is developing in reading through the progressions and finding the tight end, or the 3rd  receiver. The stats have been very good in the last few weeks.
Slowly, some are starting to realize that Weeden is not the disaster they saw in week 1. Simmons actually had some good things to say this week in his preview column. In a few more weeks, the memory of the Dayton Pad Thai will wear off and a new impression of Weeden will emerge. This guy could be the Browns QB for the next 5-7 years.

This week? The Jeff Zahn magic continues in Indy, as my dad will be there in attedance again and the Browns will win again, 27-24.

To the other games:
Buf 24, Ten 16. Less a vote for Buf but against Tennessee. I think they are one of the worst teams in the league......how do we explain last week then? See below.

Dal 27, Car 17. Yes, I am falling for this. I can't see Dallas losing this game - they are desperate.

Hou 27, Bal 24. Clearly, the two best teams in the AFC. I think they are evenly matched.

Min 23, Az 10. The Vikes are a solid team at home.

TB 27, NO 23. The Saints had a bye last week - but I'm thinking that the lack of a coach prevents them from getting the full benefit of the bye. And their only win was against Norv....does that only count as 1/2 a win?

GB 24, StL 20. I do like the Rams here, but something tells me the light has clicked on in the Packers after last week.

NYG 31, Was 27. Should be a shootout - and the Giants should be able to move the ball easily against the Skins D.

NE 31, NYJ 24. The Jets are slowly getting better, and should keep this close.

Oak 27, Jax 17. The weak link for the Raiders is the pass D - but Jax doesn't have the offensive fire power to take advantage.

Cin 24, Pit 21. Two desperate teams here. I think Pit is overrated. It was amazing to see Ten - and before, Oakland - move the ball at will against them. Cin needs this win here....and being at home is the difference.

Chi 27, Det 13. I watched most of the Lions game last week - their O looked awful for 3 quarters. Hard to see them finding a rhythm against the Bears.

Best bets: 14 of them. Last week: 6-8-1; overall: 49-40-4

Buf -3 1/2
Ten/Buf under 46
Dal -2
Bal +7
Min -6 1/2
Az/Min under 41
TB +1 1/2
Was/NYG over 51 1/2
NYJ +10 1/2
NYJ/NE over 47 1/2
Oak -6
Cin +1
Chi -6 1/2
Det/Chi under 47

Supercontest picks: Last week: 3-2; overall: 19-10-1
Buf -3 1/2
Bal +6 1/2
TB +2 1/2
Oak -4 1/2
Cin +2 1/2

 

No comments: