Aug 15, 2011

The definition of demotivation


Yesterday, the gym at our complex was closed - no reason given, just a notice that "on August 14th, the facitilies will be temporarily closed". I really needed to get some exercise, as I have skipped a couple of sessions last week - so I decided to run outside yesterday afternoon.

It wasn't deathly hot - even though it was 90-95 degrees and 90% humidity - the run was on the river and there was some shade, at least. I completed 5K in about 30 minutes (29:45!!!) and walked back into the apartment complex.

I was dripping with sweat and still trying to catch my breath fully when I went into the elevator with a middle-aged Chinese woman. After saying "Ni Hao", she responded with something like:

"Pao Lao Ti"

I had no idea what she was saying, so she tried again, a bit slower:

"Pao Lao Tai" - different word on the end.

"Pao Lao Tai", she tried one more time.

I shrugged - again - and got to my floor and exited.

5 seconds later - it hit me. Hey- maybe I know some of those words! "Tai", I remember, is "too" - like too hot, too much, too cold, etc.

"Lao" - where I have heard that before? "Lao Shi" is the word for teacher....literally meaning "old leader". So "Lao" must be old, or elderly....

Hey, wait a minute...I don't like where this is going.

I looked up "Pao" on my IPhone Chinese dictionary - yup, one of the definitions for Pao means "to run"

So - she literally told me "run old too", or, with some simple rearranging, "too old to run" - I'm too old to run.

I'm going to have to learn Chinese in order to respond to insults within an hour.....

(* "Lao Ti" I think is worse; it means "old and weak". So she could be saying "I run like an old, weak man".)

No comments: