Jan 24, 2010

Well hello there!

Hi everyone! Remember me? It's been about 2 weeks since I posted - so let's start the fun again with some complete odds and ends.....

1. Had a great visit to CA to see Layup and the new arrival, Morgan. Apparently Layup now blames us (me?) on giving him the "Ohio Flu", which I'm sure in his mind is just slightly worse than the H1N1. I'm just preparing him for a life with a child - and their exposure to 47 communicable illness at the same time.

1a. 8 year olds have no sense of temperature. We went to the beach - Freddie runs in the ocean like it is June in the Gulf of Mexico. The water was - at best - 60 degrees. That didn't stop him - he was in there for a good 30 minutes.

1b. The first morning I got up in our hotel room at 5 am - jet lag. However, I wasn't the first one up. Freddie was up and playing his PSP on the bathroom floor. At 5:30 we got in the car and went to the grocery store. Two notes about that:
- stepping outside at 5:30 in the complete darkness and being wide awake - and the temperature being a beautfily 59 degrees? It felt exactly like an early Vegas morning. Got my blood rushing for March.
- so who is in a grocery store at 5:30 in the morning? Just the stockers. And, in California, what is the ethnicity of the stockers? Of course.
So Freddie blurts out: "Why are there so many Spanish people working at this store?" Alright....have another donut and keep the questions to yourself until we get back into the car.

2. Got a magazine from Case touting the Engineering department and the faculty. In there there was a picture of the professors at the university.

It's been 20 years since I started at Case - and 5 of my professors are still there! These guys - Buchner (my adviser), Loparo, Chankong, Malakooti, Sreenath - were all middle age (40? 45?) when I started. And they are still there! (And frankly, they all look the same!)

And it's not just my department. Many of Janice's professors are still around; I looked at the Computer Engineering faculty and saw many names that Kermit bitched about (the Ozoygulu's, Merat, ...). Is this normal? I mean, in P&G, we switch roles every 3-5 years. I know it's vastly different....but don't these guys retire?

3. Driver Search 2010 is on. I'm looking at the Taylor Made R9 (because I am really comfortable with Taylor Made's over the past 10 years) or the new Cobra (since I really love my Cobra hybrid). The Titleist are too unforgiving for me, and I just am not comfortable with a Ping. It's a 9.5 degree driver with a regular shaft for me - I got the specs down, I just need to find one I am comfortable with.

1 comment:

Layup said...

Some quick comments:

1. Why would you want a Taylor made driver, when all you do is bitch about how you can't drive the ball. Don't you think its time to change the driver?

2. Its fascinating how sick I get around Eric and his boys. They are germ infested machines.

3. Watching Freddie run into the ocean was painful. And then seeing him stay in there was amazing. Thought it couldn't be that cold, so I tried and only got to my ankles and it was painful. And it made Warren's header into a wave when tripped while chasing down his flip flop all the more funny.