Aug 26, 2008

Management Question #16

So I have a little dilemma here at the office. We have a local guy who lives out of his van that parks in our parking lot at night. He has a nice big van that he lives in and a small red car that he drives. Everyday at 6:00pm, he pulls into our parking lot and parks both vehicles near the back portion of our building. He is usually very good about moving both vehicles by 7:00am. But this morning his red car was still parked in our parking lot. So I ended up driving next to his van (parked right outside of our parking lot) and honked the horn for a little bit hoping that he would wake up. No go. So the question is do I go out there and knock on the van door and ask him to move his vehicle? I don't want him to think that I've become soft, but at the same time I don't want him to get pissed at us and then vandalize our building after hours.

My staff really doesn't care and actually feeds this guy from time to time, which pisses me off. The homeless are like seagulls. You feed them once and they swarm you and won't go away. My staff is very soft. During last Thanksgiving, another homeless man built an amazing cardboard house out by our dumpster. He completed it on Wednesday afternoon right before Thanksgiving, complete with a couple of matresses and a random couch. I was going to go out there to take it down, but my staff stopped me since it was right before Thanksgiving. I gave in then and allowed it to stay up until Monday, and now I'm probably the laughing stock of the homeless community.

So do I make a point and get his car towed this morning?

6 comments:

laurad said...

How does he drive 2 cars at once?

Layup said...

He doesn't. He has one as his home and another one as his driving vehicle. Very smart if you are homeless.

Eric Z said...

I think Laura's question has to do with how he moves both cars by 7:00 am. How can he do that?

Does he drive his red car over to the nearby Jack-in-the-Box, then jog back to Farmers, pick up his "home" and then drive that over to the Jack in the Box too?

Wow.... my head is spinning.

Wiz said...

Either way, you are a puss and I hope this homeless guy pisses on your car!

jorge blogsada said...

Perhaps you should switch places for a day with him, and then call your staff down to your "office" one by one, and ask them if they're prepared to tough it out as the evil swiss elves that run your company transition to a new era of fiscal responsibility, or
you should just rent 10 blinged out vans, park them next to him, and tell him that the property taxes are just crazy in this area. Anyone with two houses would certainly feel the squeeze.

Layup said...

Laura and Eric- yes he moves the one car out of our parking lot and then I guess walks or jogs to the van and moves it as well. I didn't think I need to outline that.

Wiz- thanks for your support. Go USC.

Jorge- Fuck the Swiss.