Jul 29, 2008

Random Thoughts

Well, it's been a while - hello there! It's been crazy at work, and I am finally getting over the "Big D" I acquired from my trip to Mexico. Yesterday, I finally had my first solid bowel movement in about 10 days.

Some random thoughts:

1) First of all, if you haven't heard, Layup is fine after the earthquake in CA. I would say something calling him a wimp since he was scared over a measly 5.7 quake - but then, this spring in Ohio we felt a 3.1 quake and it was the lead story on our local news for 4 days with plenty of old women calling in "reporting" the quake. I love local news.

2) Mexico: it was very enjoyable to watch the home run derby in Spanish rather than put up with Mr. Blowhard, Chris Berman.

3) The Browns will take the field for a preseason game in 9 days. Wow. Football is almost here.

4) Why do I hate Jim Nantz? Well, this should be the only exhibit I need. Fourth quarter play, week 11, Cleveland - Pittsburgh. Watch and listen to the call. He just sucks the life out of any excitement on the field. Can you imagine if Dick Enberg was on the call? Gus Johnson? Joe Buck? Dick Stockton? Ian Eagle? Sam Rosen? All would be much much better than this.

What if Nantz called our gambling action in Vegas? He'd put us to sleep. If Gus was there, he'd be egging Kermit to get up and slug Wiz after doubling on 6....

5) Speaking of Sam Rosen, I still submit he is the most underrated play-by-play voice out there doing the NFL. He's on FOX, and there's no chance of him doing a Browns game this year. (The only two games that FOX would carry are week 1, when Dallas comes in - a game undoubtedly called by Joe "That's Outrageous" Buck and Mr. Cowboy himself, Troy Aikman), and the NYG game - but that's a MNF game). It's too bad. His call of the Seattle game last year was superb.

(that's the game no one else saw, since it was on at the same time as the NE-Ind game).

6) Coming soon: my opinion of each NFL head referee! A sneak preview: Ron Winter is not as bad as you think he is, while I cringe if Mike Carey is doing my game.

7) Golf week 08 starts Saturday, with the defense of my club championship crown and then the Ohio Publinx, this year at Cook's Creek. Monday's traditional practice round have all 4 participants confirmed, as Dad and I will square off against Steve and Kermit.

I feel like I'm playing the best golf of the year, which is not saying much at all. Expectations are low.

2 comments:

RRD said...

Define 'best golf of the year'.

Swing tendencies

Strengths/weaknesses

Anticipated score(s)

Eric Z said...

Define "Best golf of the year"?

You sit down at a blackjack table...
you promptly lose 6 hands in a row.

On the 7th hand, you get dealt 20.

The dealer has an 8 showing, turns a 2, and then a 10. 20.

A draw! You celebrate!

That's how I feel right now.

I started the season with a HDCP of under 2, and now it is 4.3 and rising.

I think I deserve a gold medal for shooting rounds of 80, 82, 85 and such this spring....given where my tee ball has been.

I just haven't been able to get off the tee at all this year. Two issues:

1. My swing plane has been flatter than a 10-year-old girl's chest, and
2. I have a Barack Obama ball position on the tee - the ball is left of my front foot. Too far left.

Over the last two weeks, I have tried to fix it, with some success - but I feel like it is March and I'm still working the kinks out. In three weeks, I could be fine...

but I don't have 3 weeks. I have this week to show something.

I'll shoot high 70s, low 80s, which may win me the club championship but will not be very good at the State Publinx.