May 13, 2008

Decisions

Fitting that this is the first post in over a week.

The other day I headed off to work at around 6:00am. I stopped at Starbucks to pick up a cup of coffee and then it hits me...The four pound burrito from last night is knocking at the door to leave for the day. So I postpone the order of coffee and go straight to the restroom. Now I typically have very nice things to say about Starbucks, but their restroom setup sucks. Without fail, someone always knocks on the door right as I go in, since they only have one bathroom. This causes me to rush and either I pee over myself or I don't fully enjoy my private time. And yes, I do understand that it is a public restroom, but that is usually the time I can catch up on my text messages and internet. Man I sound like a twelve year old.

So I go into the restroom and prepare the toilet for my adventure. I sit down and realize that there is a newspaper sitting next to the toilet. I thought for a solid 15 seconds on if I should pick it up and read it or just let it be. Below are the thoughts that ran through my head:
  • Well it is the Sports page and from what I can see they have an interesting article about one of my fantasy baseball guys, Billsingley
  • How dirty could the newspaper be?
  • Can I catch the HIV by touching that?
  • Doesn't look like there is any pee on it.

So I end up picking it up and reading it. I felt so dirty afterwards, but I feel like I made the right decision.

3 comments:

mer said...

I have to tell Layup, I always think of you when I take a dump in a public restroom. Ever since you blogged about the pants around the ankles, I've been a little self conscience when taking a shit.

Eric Z said...

Just a question:

Is a Starbucks public restroom more clean than a regular public restroom?

I say yes, due to the clientele. I feel Layup had nothing to worry about, since the previous patrons of the restroom were 105-pound, latte sipping Obama vegetarians. How much - really - could their dumps be? 4 ounces?

Layup - your damage that day in the restroom exceeded the total daily activity for that specific toilet.

(Damn Cavs, by the way....)

RRD said...

Respectfully disagree. The higher quality of the establishment, the worst the restroom conditions. Have you ever found a clean restroom in a Country Club? Hell I played a course on Monday that had ashtrays in the johns.

Starbucks employees are 'above' cleaning restrooms. I would have found a hotel, and avoided the closest grocery store.