Oct 9, 2021

NFL Week 5: Nothing up Top

 

The 2010 Vegas trip started our 11 year stint at the Mirage.  For some reason it feels like its been longer.  Maybe its because during the next 4-5 years I was coming out to Vegas at least every other month. Going through the posts for 2010 this is when everyone other than Eric stopped blogging (except about Vegas) and this was Eric’s last trip to Vegas before heading off to China.  I did find this one gem from Eric on his first post Vegas blog:

 

What's the point of the diaries? Well, I think it's 30% to have others fill in hazy details from the trip, 20% to make sure all hilarity and craziness is documented, and 50% for entertainment in the future, when you re-read this diary 2, 3, 4 years from now or later.

 

Or 11 years later. Eric used to tell me that he would review all of the old posts about Vegas before heading on out and that would get him pumped. I’m so happy we did these posts, because he kept documentation about everything in his notebooks but most are completely illegible.  Its been helpful to go back and read these as well as his NFL pickem posts to keep his memories alive.  

 

Anyway, this trip was full of action.  Eric’s first male massage, Don brought out the UTH card and introduced it to all of us, we had a UTH 12 hour telethon, intro to BJ switch, Show me the Shot Clock line from Jay, the last time I played serious BJ on the floor, $5 Blue Jacket tickets for everyone, the infamous Sahara craps roll with Jay, Laura, Dick, and I, and this hilarious story:

 

Well, by now, the disaster of the UTH table was long forgotten, my big sports bets (why Leland and I didn't go 4 digits on Kentucky -9 vs Wake? )were coming in, and I was feeling pretty good after 14 Strawberry Daiquiris at the UTH table and 5 Tom Collinses (yes, this drink made a comeback this trip!) at the craps table. On to Pai Gow. It was 7 pm or so, I only had that turkey sandwich all day, and I was getting a bit drunk. In Pai Gow, if you have a good bottom hand - like a flush or a straight - your top 2 cards are usually going to suck. Many players call this being "topless".

 Well, I decided to act this out. I got a heart flush on the bottom and 5-3 up top. I turned to Leland and Jay to my right.

 "You know what my top hand is?"

 No, they answered.

 I lifted up my shirt. "Topless!"

As Jay said, there are things he can't unsee.

Well, I thought I was hilarious that first time, so I repeated it at least 6 more times. I thought it was just as funny as the first - I'm sure Leland and Jay did not agree. By the 4th time, I started laughing uncontrollably. I couldn't see out of my contacts. I just lost it for a good 2-3 minutes. The waitress hated me, I'm sure the dealer didn't like it, and (most embarrasingly) the guy at the other end of the table - who was betting $1000/hand, sometimes $5000 - did not like it.

Here he is, with a $40,000 stake at the table, and a drunk idiot is giggling and lifting up his shirt. A proud moment for me. There was one other time I completely lost my emotions in Vegas - 2004, shortly after the stressful move to Iowa and I was convinced on this trip that Steve and Kermit were conspiring against me - but that was more of a breakdown. This was just......immaturity.

(And do I regret it? Ummmmmm......no.)

Was there anything better than a drunk Eric?  Onto the picks:

Rams at Seahawks:  I really thought the Seahawks would of pulled this out. Wilson is now out. Not good for my 50-1 Superbowl ticket

Falcons 14 at Jets 28 (+3):  Going back to the cupboard on this one.  Falcons have no WR’s and no running game.  Jets have a solid D and I think can move the ball and will win this game easily. 

Pats 13 at Texans 6 (+9):  Want to fade the Pats here so bad especially with the O line out.  This isn’t your old Pats team.     

Miami 21 At Bucs 24 (+10):  How is this not a letdown game after the Pats.   Miami’s D can keep the Bucs in check and Miami should be able to move the ball against that horrid secondary to keep it close.   

Eagles 10 at Panthers 22 (-3.5): This line is making me scared.  Why isn’t it higher?   Yes the Panthers got rolled on the road against the Cowboys but they are still a playoff team. 

Lions 14 at Vikings 31 (-9.5): Cousins owns the Lions. 

Titans 28 at Jaguars 17 (-4.5): Think this is way too low despite the issues with the Titans.  But the injuries are piling up and Jags

Broncos 14 at Steelers 17 (-1): That bullshit offsides call changed that Steelers Packers game.  Knew it was over when that was called back.   Hope Bridgewater doesn’t get cleared, but even if he does I think we will get the best e

Packers 21 at Bengals 24 (+3):  See above on the Packers.  Burrow can overcome that putrid coach. 

Saints 23  at Skins 24 (+2.5)  Saints offense is broken and the Skins D is broken.  Skins offense is looking solid and Saints D looking great.  I’m staying away

Bears 9 at Raiders 24 (-5.5):  Bears just suck on the road and might have the worst coach. Raiders can score. This should be a blowout

Browns 22 at Chargers 23 (-1.5): Baker is injured?  Chargers riding high after two big divisional wins.  Chargers struggle against the run, and the Browns D is legit. Think the Browns will keep this close

Giants 24 at Cowboys 27 (-7):  Divisional game.  Giants on the road so we know that Danny Dimes will be better.  Think that the Cowboys will win, but it will be tight.

49ers 21 at Cardinals 17 (-5.5):  Divisional game.  Cardinals excel at pass D, but are just average at stopping the run.  Really like the 49ers to win outright.

Bills 28 at Chiefs 31(-2.5):  What would this line be if they didn’t fumble at the Ravens and didn’t screw up in the 4th qtr against the Chargers?  I like getting less than 3

Colts 10 at Ravens 26 (-7):  Think the Ravens figured something out against the Broncos.  They are at home in primetime and playing a bad team. 

 

Best Bets 32-25-1

 

Pats Under

Saints Under

Broncos Under

Bengals Over

Vikings Over

Bengals

Steelers

Panthers

Dolphins

Jets

Raiders

Giants

49ers

Chiefs

Ravens

Houston

 

 

8-11-1

Ravens

Dolphins

Jets

Bengals

Steelers

No comments: