Oct 7, 2018

NFL Week 5: Judge Judy


Well, last week's Browns game was heartbreaking - what else is new? - due to some questionable officiating calls. I don't need to hash them out here - you all know the big 2 calls that were missed. When the ex-dean of officiating is called on the game broadcast and says "I don't see any way this call can be overturned", and then it's overturned, it's annoying.

Now I understand why Raiders fans still hate Walt Anderson. He was the ref in the tuck game, I think. So 17 years later, Walt pays them back. So I expect Walt's son to be the ref of our game in 2035 and give us a favorable call against the London Jaguars in a playoff game.

Oh, and Miles Garrett was held throughout the second half.

Anyway, let's focus on our favorite daytime TV official - Judge Judy!

Show: Judge Judy

Network: Syndicated. I'm sure you all know what channel it's on in your area. For us, it's WXIX Channel 19.

When: 3:00, 3:30, 5:00, 5:30. They changed the schedule about a month ago and it messed up my routine!

Main characters: Judy, Petri Hawkins-Byrd

So Judge Judy is part of my daily routine - so much so that I think it annoys the boys now. If I have to do some computer work or emails, Judge Judy is the perfect background noise to have on to do that mindless task. And the 5:00, 5:30 Judge Judy is nice to have on when I run out of energy during the day, and the boys are all set doing homework (or not around due to activities).

And since I didn't see any Judge Judy's from 2010-2014 when I was in China, every rerun is like a new episode to me! It's comforting.

Judge Judy started airing in September, 1996 - so she has been on for 23 seasons now. Wow! She first aired before I got married.  The first idea for the name for the show was "Hot Bench with Judge Judy" - glad someone came around and nixed that idea.

I don't know what I can say about the show that everyone doesn't know - usually, there are two cases per episode; one side in each cases is usually typecast as the "dumbass" - and Judy goes after them hard. It's rare that both sides are well prepared, intelligent, and has compelling cases to make.

That's my one critique about Judge Judy now - it seems that in the more recent episode, she isn't even giving one side a chance any more. It's almost as if she knows how she will rule just be reading the statements - and her mind is made up before even entering the courtroom. Just seems more so now than before.

It's almost like she is Walt Anderson and the unfortunate party that she doesn't like is the Browns!

(Am I really criticizing the editing of a reality show? You betcha!)

There are a couple of principles that we can take away from the show that provide great lessons for the kids.


First: when your opponent is flailing around and losing his/her case, don't interrupt them! There are so many times when Judy is ripping the plaintiff's case, showing obvious holes- and the defendant then interrupts Judy. No! You're winning! Shut up! It's the old adage from politics that is brought to life vividly. From Napoleon: "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

Second: Never pay anything in cash! Geesh. "I loaned somebody $2000. I want to be paid back. No - I have no receipt. I make minimum wage - of course I can save $2000 in cash". Get a receipt for anything, boys.

I should have gotten a receipt for last week's picks. Not good at all. Here's Judge Judy's opinion of those picks. 

On to this week:

Buf 23, Ten 20. Ten has not scored more than 20 in any game so far this year. What a perfect letdown spot here for the Titans. I think McCoy will get going today.

Car 31, NYG 24. Starting to become a little more impressed with the Panthers; not sure their D is all that great, so Eli and the Giants will be able to move the ball.

Cin 23, Mia 21. Miami has enough team speed to keep Cinci on their toes (see the Panthers game); Mia's defense is good enough to slow down the Bengals' passing attack.

Det 27, GB 24. No clue here. I think the Packers are a totally different road team than home team; I expect a very close game here.

KC 24, Jax 20. The big question - can the Jags offense take advantage of a weak Chiefs' D? How good is the KC offense - finally playing an elite D unit?  (hint: Denver does not count).

NYJ 27, Den 17. Speaking of Denver - what a letdown spot here. I don't think their D is that good. Their coaching is subpar. I think the Jets will surprise here with an offensive mix.

Atl 31, Pit 30. Two completely desperate teams. Ben looked awful last week. I'd love to see another Steelers loss - but this is in Pittsburgh against a swiss cheese Falcons D.

LAC 31, Oak 27. I think we know both these teams by now- the Chargers can move the ball up and down the field, but will shoot themselves in the foot at the wrong time. A shootout seems destined.

Phi 23, Min 17. Min will shore up their pass D - no question. However, they are one-dimenisional on offense now and Philly will exploit that.

SF 27, Az 14. Call me a believer in CJ Beatherd. Shanahan will design plays for him to excel; I don't trust Rosen on the road for his first road start, and the head coaching matchup here favors SF.

LAR 27, Sea 16. How does Seattle score points here? Their offense is awful. They will do just enough on D to slow the Rams, but can't get to 20.

Hou 26, Dal 16. Hou has the #2 rushing defense - so they don't need extra effort to stop Zeke, forcing Dal to rely on their passing game. How's that going to work?

NO 30, Was 24. I like Washington and Alex Smith, and this should be a close game. The ball control offense will keep the Skins in the game.

Best bets: 13 this week. Last week: 4-9; overall: 28-29-1

Buf +5.5
NYG/Car over 43.5
Mia +6
Mia/Cin under 48
NYJ +1
Atl +3
Oak/LAC over 52.5
Phi -3
Min/Phi under 47
SF -3.5
LAR -7.5
LAR/Sea under 50
Hou -3

Supercontest picks: last week: 2-3; overall: 11-8-1
Buf +3.5
NYJ -1
Mia +6.5
SF -4
Hou -3

No comments: