Nov 27, 2016

NFL Week 12: January 11, 1987

Hello there - We now resume regular blogging after a November filled with the election, anniversary and holiday travel. Just got back last night from the east coast - avoiding Pennsylvania turnpike traffic on the Sunday after Thanksgiving is a must. I've done that drive many times on the last Sunday in November and I have waited 60, 90 minutes at toll booths...never again.

Anyway, had a chance to drive by the old high school in Maryland for the first time in 7-8 years. Several additions have been made and some of the parts are not recognizable. However, the New Gym is still there - and that's the site of one of Cleveland's greatest (and infamous) sports memories.

( I will still refer to that gym as the "New Gym", even as it was in use when I was there; I think it opened in 1982 or 1983 and is now almost 35 years old. I wonder what is in place of the "Old Gym" now....)

The day was Sunday, January 11, one day after I turned 15. I had an indoor soccer game that afternoon, The Browns were playing in their first AFC Championship game vs. Denver, who at that time were not considered evil just yet. A week ago, we had a home playoff game vs. the Jets and was down 10 with 2 minutes to go; we somehow tied the game - sending it to overtime; the game went to double overtime and we won it on a Moseley field goal. People talk about the Miami/San Diego playoff game in the 70s to be the greatest game of all time; I think this Browns/Jets game from the '86 playoffs is better and should be #1.

Anyway - one week later we host the Broncos in the AFC Championship. Due to the soccer game, I set my VCR (just like the week before) in order to watch the game after my soccer game.

(By the way - that indoor season pissed me off. You know how there are always individual starts in rec league that always beat your team, and they seem to be on the teams that are 12-2, or 11-1, or whatnot? Yeah - we had one kid in our age group like that. And on this team this year, I was actually randomly drawn to be on his team! Awesome....until we ended up going 6-6 or something. The one time I get to be on the same team as the star, we go .500..... It can't be me, can it? Don't answer that).

The game was 3 pm or 4 pm or something like that - late in the afternoon. I do remember someone - maybe the arriving team of the game after us? - saying loudly: "the Browns and Broncos game went to overtime!". Well, gee thanks, thanks for ruining the suspense for those that have it taped.

So we go home - the game was over by then - and we rewind the tape; I watch the Browns score a TD with 5 minutes left to go up 20-13. Since I know we went to overtime, I just fast forward through the next 5 minutes, since I know what happens. Of course, that's 5 minutes of the most painful football in Cleveland memory, as Elway led the Broncos on the Drive.

I stop at the coin toss and watch it live; we win the toss. Great!

And then we go 3 and out.  Punt it away.

The Broncos then got the ball, moved down the field, and their drive stalled around the 15. Rich Karlis came out on 4th down to attempt the kick.....

the video of the field goal is here. .

Look, I thought he missed it watching it live (on tape). The fact there there has been no discussion of this - ever  - is certainly fishy. All Browns fans I know that watched this game are convinced he missed it.

The fact that I have to go to some second-rate website to even find the video is telling. Why is the NFL erasing the tapes from the kick?

I will go to my grave believing these 2 facts...and no one will be able to convince me otherwise:

1. Ross Perot would have won the 1992 presidential election if he did not drop out, and
2. Rich Karlis missed his overtime kick in the 1986 AFC Championship game.

That is all......let's go beat the Giants today.

To the games:

Min 27, Det 16. I can't believe the result of this game...
Dal 31, Was 23
Pit 27, Ind 10 
(these are the predictions I made Wed night).

Atl 24, Arz 16. Wow, I am starting to come to terms with the fact that the Cardinals' O is bad...really bad.

Bal 23, Cin 13. Cincinnati looks like a team that knows its window has closed and their 5 year run is over. Thank goodness for us Bengals haters in SW Ohio.

Buf 27, Jax 16. At this point, what can you say about Jacksonville? They will always give the game up when needed.

Ten 28, Chi 27. I can't trust this Tennessee defense to stop anyone. Even Matt Barkley....They can score, sure....

Hou 23, SD 20. SD off a bye, where their offense was clicking; the bye will take them out of rhythm.

Mia 23, SF 13. San Fran is the opposite of Cincinnati/Jacksonville; they seem to be improving as the season goes on here....

NO 24, LA 17. I guess we will give the rams 17 points...that loss last week was bitter.

Sea 27, TB 24. This will be a good test of how good Winston is vs. a decent pass defense.

Car 26, Oak 23. I'm still not sold on this Oakland team. They can be beaten by a team with a decent defense (check) that does not turn the ball over (uh, Cam?)

NE 31, NYJ 17. Why stand in front of the Pats' bus at this point?

KC 20, Den 17. I believe last week's hiccup for the Chiefs was a lookahead game to this game. What is the Denver offense? The Chiefs will limit them.

Phi 27, GB 20. The Packers are the 3rd team that I think are imploding. Their whole body language says they are finished.

Best bets: 14 total for the week; last week: 8-6; overall: 64-61-6
Min +2.5 (L)
Pit -3 (W)
Pit/Ind under 50 (W)
Atl -4
Az/Atl under 50.5
Bal -3.5
Chi +6
Ten/Chi over 41.5
Hou +2.5
SF/Mia under 46
Car +3.5
NE -8
KC +3.5
Phi -3.5

My supercontest picks: last week: 2-3; overall: 27-27-1
KC +3.5
Min +2.5 (L)
Car +3
Bal -4
Hou +1.5

Overall combined official Supercontest picks: last week: 1-4; overall: 26-26-3
SD -1.5
KC +3.5
Bal -4
Car +3
Min +2.5 (L)

No comments: