Oct 16, 2016

NFL Week 6: April 24, 1996

Back at home after the long drive back from the Game 2 ALCS victory by the Tribe last night. Another low scoring white knuckler, where the starter (Tomlin, in this case) high-wires it into the 6th; Francona gets him out as soon as there is danger in the 3rd time through the order; Miller does his thing and then we hope we have good Cody Allen to finish up. It somehow all worked last night, and we are now up 2-0 in the ALCS.

The twitter got me thinking - what is my own personal playoff record? What's my record for games I have attended? I think the following is correct:

NBA: 0
MLB: Now 3-1, all ALCS games with the Indians. (This does not count the 1999 Tie breaker game 163 between the Mets and Reds at Riverfront.....anyone remember that?)
NFL: A perfect 1-0!
NHL: 0-2....

With the start of the NHL season this week, let's reflect on that first NHL playoff loss...a heartbreaking game that is still listed as one of the top 10 all time great games in NHL history. And somehow, Layup and I were there.

Some background: As I started to become more of a sports fan in the mid to late 80s, hockey was always the 4th sport. I never played, and it was very rarely on TV growing up. The closest team to us was - of course - the Washington Capitals. So I started to follow them a bit; the 1987 season was the best season they had....and I remember that ending in the Easter morning game 7 loss to the Islanders. Painful playoff losses? Great! I'm hooked!

I went to college in 1990, and met up with Steve, who was a huge hockey fan. We started watching games during the winter (remember, these games were not on ESPN - they were on SportsChannel....another remnant from the early 90s). Steve was a Penguins fan (being the closest team to Cleveland).....we had many spring tournament road trips where he and I would watch an annual Penguins-Capitals playoff series, always resulting in a Caps loss in 6, usually 7 games. it was predictable every year. But because I hated everything yellow and black, there was no way I could root for the Pens.

(Sidetrack - I remember a trip to Carnegie in 1991 for a tournament; of course the Pens/Caps were playing. All Steve and I wanted to do was to get a 6 pack of MGD and watch the game in the hotel room....but that is literally impossible in Pennsylvania. He (I was underage) had to buy a 24 pack of bottles for the one night. I'm not sure what happened to the rest of that beer. (Of course, the Caps lost, I probably beat him in Gin that night, however.....and in the chipping contest in the hallway)

Fast forward to 1996. I was working in Dayton for the military contractor at the time, and I was sent to the DC area for a week of training on some software. It just so happened that Tuesday night that week was Game 4 of the Caps-Pens series at US Air Arena in Landover! Layup was at the U of Md at the time - was it your junior year? I called him up (probably spoke to Jay or Leland 3 times trying to get a hold of Layup) and found out he was free; so I called to get tickets and we would pick them up at will call.

The training ended at 5; I drove to College Park to pick Layup up, and then we drove to the Arena. The Caps were up 2 games to 1, with a chance here to go up 3-1 in the series.

I really don't recall anything about regulation - I watched the highlights of the game this morning to refresh myself.....the Caps - of course - were up 2-0 in the game, and the Pens got back into it on a shorthanded goal by Jagr late in the 2nd. I think Layup and I both knew that was a bad, bad sign.

Lemieux actually received a game misconduct for fighting against our bruiser - so he was lost for the 3rd (and the rest of the game). No matter. The Pens tied it up about midway through the 3rd on a goal by Nedved; the Caps seem to go in a shell on offense - and regulation ended up tied, 2-2.

Off we go to overtime. The first overtime was uneventful; no chances, and we remained tied after 20 minutes of overtime. Now what?  It was about 10:45 pm or so..... (game started at 7)...... how late were we going to stay? Layup was ok staying for another period, I was 24 and could survive my way through training with coffee, so ok - let's stay another period.

The second overtime was memorable; on a rush, Juneau just missed as the puck was rolling around in the crease; in the scramble, a Penguin knocked the net off. Long discussion.....and the result? A penalty shot!!!! I think this was the first penalty shot ever award in overtime. It was clearly the correct call.

Juneau took the penalty shot ------ it was late in the period, and the puck started bouncing around on the ice; he never got a clear shot off and Ken Wregget denied him. On we played.

Second overtime ended....now it's about 11:40 or so....decision time---- we will stay.

Third overtime - not much happened. Olaf Kolzig was excellent for us. No score. Now it's 12:30 am in the morning; I still have to take him back to College Park and then drive back to my hotel (I think in Northern Va).....hoo boy, this is getting late......ok, we will stay for one more.

Fourth overtime - with about 2:30 left in the fourth overtime, a penalty was called on us. BS. (looking at the replay today, it probably was the correct call). And with 10 seconds left on the penalty, 40 seconds left in the 4th OT, Nedved scored with a shot that Kolzig was screened on. Pittsburgh wins, 3-2.  

What a horribly deflating finish to our first playoff hockey game. I think I dropped Layup off at campus around 2 and got back to my hotel around 2;30. Up at 7 for the training - and yes, I fell asleep a few times that day during the training.

(by the way - nothing screams mid-1990s than a game on ESPN2 with those lower case graphics...and the teal Capitals uniforms....God, were they ugly)

On to the games:

Buf 24, SF 17. Will be interesting to see how the 49ers respond to Kap getting the start again. Key here - can Buffalo pass the ball effectively, since their run will be shut down?

Jax 27, Chi 24. I can't help myself here. I think the Jags are ready to play better after London and Chicago has nothing defensively. Should be high scoring.

LA 27, Det 20. Detroit is a fraud, and LA is unpredictable. Just when you think the Rams are good, they let you down. When you think they are bad.....

Pit 23, Mia 21. Miami has to have 1 decent game in here, no? Pittsburgh has New England next week.

NE 30, Cin 23. Is this a must win game for the Bengals? So disappointed in them against the Cowboys last week. They had no D, no passing game, ....

Car 30, NO 27. Staying away from both these teams until I can figure out either 1. How many steps Cam has lost and 2. Can the Saints play any sort of defense?

Bal 20, NYG 17. In a battle of bad teams, go with the best coach. McAdoo has issues on the Giants sideline.

Phi 24, Was 23. Why did I get sucked in on the Eagles on the road last week? This should be a close game, going either way.

KC 27, Oak 20. KC, off a bye, needs a bounceback, and their defense will keep Oakland in check. Smith and the Chiefs will have lots of sustained drives against the Raiders.

GB 23, Dal 17. Something is off with Rodgers and his timing/chemistry. Green Bay should stop the Dallas passing game - so lots of long, clock eating drives for the Cowboys.

Sea 27, Atl 20. it will be very interesting to see how Atlanta's offense performs in Seattle. I'll sit this one out and just watch.

Hou 31, Ind 20. I'll take the team with some defense against the team with none.

Az 27, NYJ 23.  I think the Cards are not as good as people think...they will survive here, but the Jets will make it tough.

Best bets: 12 of them. Last week: 7-5-1; overall: 30-31-3
Jax +1.5
Jax/Chi over 45.5
LA +3
Mia +7
Pit/Mia under 49
Cin/NE over 47.5
Bal +3.5
Bal/NYG under 44
KC -1.5
Dal/GB under 47.5
Hou -3
NYJ +7.5

My supercontest picks: Last week: 2-3; overall: 12-13
Hou -3
LA +3.5
KC pk
Mia +7.5
Jax +2.5

Our combined official picks: Last week: 3-2; overall: 13-12
SD +3 (win)
NO +3
Hou -3
KC pk
LA +3.5

No comments: