Oct 6, 2013

Supercontest Update

As some of you know, Layup, Wiz and I are in the Las Vegas Supercontest - the toughest handicapping contest there is out there. It's like the US Open of NFL wagering.

Well, we are 1/4 of the way through the contest, and if this truly were the US Open, here's the summary so far. Our real records:

Eric 8-10-2  9 pts
Wiz 8-12 8 pts
Layup 7-13 7 pts


OAKMONT, Pa. (AP) – The first round of the 2013 Supercontest is in the books, and our featured grouping has some work to do to get back into the hunt for the money. However, all are still able to make the cut with a solid 2nd round.
 
The best score in the group belong to Eric, who came back on the back nine on Thursday with a solid 34. His score of 73 – 3 over – was marred by a poor start, but Eric’s play over the last nine holes have given him (and his fans) hope for round 2 and later. He almost finished birdie-birdie on the last 2 holes, but missed a 10 footer on #18. He was seen muttering curse words about a Matt Ryan, but was upbeat later after signing his card. “The last nine holes validates what I have been doing”, Eric said. “I got some bad breaks early on, but the swing is there. I can’t wait to get the second round started. Can we play 36 today?”
 
The rookie, Wiz, struggled on the back nine with a 39, signing for a 74 for the day. Wiz’s preshot routine has been compared to Par Perez’s – in the fact that Wiz has no routine. He steps up to the ball and fires, which served him well on the first nine holes but got him into some trouble on the back nine. Loose tee shots on two holes caused two double bogeys coming in, including Wiz teeing off with a Josh Freeman-designed club on 13 of the 18 holes, which has caused him major problems. “Damn, the pace is slow out there”, commented Wiz. “I would have liked to play the round in 3 hours and 15 minutes, but it seems like I am playing with Sergio and Kevin Na. Make the damn pick already!”. However, Wiz likes his chances for the second 18. “I’ve been making money hand over fist with my imaginary account at Longview over the years – no reason why I can’t duplicate that performance at a cow pasture like Oakmont”.
 
Layup trailed the group with a 75, and was depressed about his performance after the round. “My session on the range was great this morning – and then I get to the tee and lose the swing. It’s like I forgotten everything I worked on before the season”. Layup did seem to settle down after opening the round with a triple-bogey; however, another shot OB on #13 cost him two more shots. He did finish the round with 5 pars. Rumors are that Layup will fire his caddy – Jeff Fisher, a longtime ally of Layup's– between rounds. “To be honest, Dottie, Jeff misclubbed me on a couple of the holes. I’m not sure if I can trust him anymore”. Layup was seen talking to Gus Bradley after the round.
 
Scores are high, with the round 1 leading score being the highest in the past 5 years. Your leader, at 67 (3 under), is still Sal Iacono. Lurking at 2 under is two-time champion and veteran JarHead.
The average score for the first round is 74 (8.5 points).
 

No comments: